The process starts with design, converting your thoughts to plans!
A member of our design team will sit down with you and conduct a thorough needs analysis. This gives us the opportunity to ensure we incorporate everything you need into the design and make your vision complete. There’s nothing worse than realising at the end of a building project that you wish you’d added something in! We give thought to what the room is going to be used for. Will you have enough power sockets? Will you need ordinary sockets or is it better to use ones with USB chargers in them? Do you want a dimmer switch to control the lights? Do you want all the lights on one circuit? Will you need internet? All these questions and more can be answered.
We’ll look at the doors you want. We’ll look at the windows. Do you want an outdoor covered, or non-covered decking area attached to your Garden Room? All these things will be considered. It’s your Garden Room. It’s your decision. We’ll help you utilise and maximise the space available.
Once we’ve got the information we can start using it to create your Garden Room on our 3D design software to give you an idea of how the finished room will look. We can then make any changes and once you’re totally satisfied can we sign off and take it through to the next stage.
From concept through creation to completion we’re with you every step of the way.
Malbern Garden Rooms start from just £12,995.
What’s in my Malbern Garden Room?
Fixtures and Fittings
When you purchase your Malbern Garden Room you’re buying a fully installed building, from base to roof and ready for you to finish off in your own inimitable style and choice of décor, colour and furnishings.
Your Malbern Garden Room will be ready to be connected to a power source by your own electrician.
If you don’t know one we can recommend a fully qualified electrician to you. They’ll advise on the best way to extend the power from your house to your Malbern Garden Room. This may well involve the need for a trench to be dug so that cable can be laid. If you don’t know someone who can do this then once again Malbern will be able to recommend a suitable contractor who will complete the job for you.
Don’t worry, we’re with you from concept to completion … every step of the way!
Malbern Garden Rooms come with a high specification build and are complete with:
- Concrete Base, fully insulated and with DPC
- Fully insulated walls and roof
- Internal (non-storage area) 9.5mm plasterboard with 3mm skim
- Walls and ceilings are mist coated ready for your colour choice finish
- Skirting Board 94mm
- Door architrave 44mm
- EPDM roof
- French doors with opening side panels, size to be agreed at survey
- Double glazed windows to 2m2, exact sizes and positions to be agreed at survey
- All doors and windows fitted with toughened safety glass
- Electrics: 1 x 3 switch consumer unit
- 6 x double switched sockets with USB points
- 6 x internal downlights
- 6 x external downlights
Optional extras and upgrades
- 3 or 5 section bi-fold doors (depending on room size)
- Larger window space
- Internal wall lights
- External down and wall lights
- Brush chrome/stainless socket finish
- Security system
- Fully insulated partition
- Enhanced soundproofing
- Dimmable Lighting
Malbern Garden Rooms start from just £12,995.
(1) Base: All Malbern Garden Rooms are built on a reinforced concrete base. Dug to a suitable depth to suit the ground conditions. There is a layer of compressed sand and stone covered in a visqueen membrane to prevent rising damp and then filled with reinforced concrete over an insulating board to provide a finished slab on which we can safely build your Malbern Garden Room. This ensures your Garden Room is built on a long lasting foundation that will not rot or move. Our specialist will advise at time of survey the depth of foundation that is required.
(2) Walls: The walls are made by creating a kiln dried planed all round (PAR) timber frame from C16 grade 4” x 2” (95mm x 45mm) with 11mm OSB (Oriented Strand Board) panelling on the outside. Onto that is a breathable membrane held in place by 45mm x 20mm batons to which we attach the finish you want; Cedar, Larch or Composite Cladding. The standard interior walls are finished by using 11mm OSB board or plasterboard which can be either decorated onto or skimmed with a 3mm depth of finish plaster.
(3) Roof: The roof is constructed using the same method as the walls but we use 18mm OSB board which is then covered with EPDM Rubber roof/GRP coating. The interior ceiling is plasterboard with skim finish the same as the interior non-storage room walls.
(4) Flooring: The finished base is ready for you to finish as you wish. The room’s use will be instrumental in deciding what you want to put on the floor, be a carpet and underlay, vinyl or a high impact floor covering for the home gym. We can help you with this and arrange fitting if necessary through one of our expert preferred suppliers.
(5) Electrics: All Malbern Garden Rooms come with a three gang consumer unit fully compliant to the latest Part P Regulations. We supply as standard 3 x flush fitting double switched white plug sockets. We fit 6 x interior ceiling lights and 3 x exterior downlights.
(6) Internet: There are now two favoured ways of extending internet to your Malbern Garden Room. The first is running a Cat6 cable alongside your power supply from your house or by using a WiFi extender system. The WiFi mesh system is growing in popularity and it is worth seeking professional advice regarding this as there are factors that will need to be taken into consideration, such as distance from the house and bandwidth required.
(7) To keep all this dry the roof is constructed of 18mm OSB sitting on 5 x 2 joists. The OSB is covered in EPDM Rubber which is now one of the most popular and best types of finish for this type of building.